Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Healthy Snack: Energy Balls

I first was introduced to these delicious and filling snacks by a friend, and over time I've modified them just a bit. My boys, well, Henrik is a picky eater so when he ate the snack and loved them I started making them weekly.

Here's What You'll Need:

Creamy Peanut Butter 
Milled Flax Seed
Wheat Germ
Oats
Honey
Coconut Oil
Mini Chocolate Chips
Coconut shavings, sweetened


Follow These Simple Steps:

ONE: 
Mix all of the ingredients into a large bowl. Seriously, it's that easy. Okay, how much of everything? It depends on how much you want to make and how big you make the balls. Not helpful? Well, to make about 30 balls (which lasts my family a week) I use about 4-5 Cups of Oats as my base line. I then add the Flax Seed (about 2 Cups) and Wheat Germ (about 2 cups). I mix them all together by hand and get a feel for the color, you want it to be a nice nutty brown. 

TWO: 
Take about 2 Table Spoons of Coconut oil and melt it. Once it's melted, add it to the Oats, Flax and Wheat Germ. 

THREE: 
Add Peanut Butter to the mix. I usually do about 2 Cups of Peanut Butter for 30 balls. 

FOUR: 
Add Honey to the mix. I probably add about 1/4 cup of honey for 30 balls. Sticky is good in this case. 

FIVE: 
Add coconut shavings for texture. I used about 1/4 cup.

SIX: 
Add chocolate chips, about 1/2 a bag. 

SEVEN: 
Mix it all together, start with a non-stick spoon, but eventually you'll have to use your hands to get the stubborn stuff at the bottom. 

EIGHT:
Start making some balls. Make sure to pack them tight! And try to keep them bite size, like maybe two bites per ball. 

NINE: 
Put in the fridge for about an hour to let them set. After that, the are done! I don't keep mine in the fridge, but you could.

TEN:
Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment